WRAP’s Recycle week

Filed in Blog by on April 3, 2009 8 Comments

WRAPS recycle weekI have just received details of this years WRAP Recycle week. It takes place 22 June – 28 June 2009 and it reminds me of a special date! It was at the beginning of last year’s recycle week that MyZeroWaste was launched.

The theme for this year is a subject close to our hearts. Instead of focusing solely on recycling, the campaign is called ‘Let’s Waste Less’. Yes folks, we’re talking about prevention rather than cure; which gets a big green thumbs and paws up from us!

WRAP are encouraging people to try something new to reduce the amount of waste they produce.  Ideas range from minimising food waste, composting at home to using reusable shopping bags.

Interesting and informative events are being planned throughout the week to inspire people to waste less. People will be encouraged to make a ‘pledge’ to take action. Just like we did during our own zero waste week last September.

We certainly found this a great way to get people involved, so we hope this year’s campaign by WRAP will be a huge success. We’re definitely behind them every step of the way.

There are ambitious plans to tie in recycle week with Wimbledon and Glastonbury. I’m really looking forward to hearing about their ideas with these two events!

Stay tuned; we’ll be bringing you the latest news on the 2009 WRAP’s recycle week campaign as it is released, and you can keep up with news on their RecycleNow website.

Will you be taking part? What action do you think you might pledge to do?

Hi Mrs Green,

I saw the story today and left a comment for Liz at Wrap. The main thrust was to include reusable Home Containers, for loose items, as a way to minimise waste.

Others should post their ideas there too, to help promote the Zero Waste trend. Liz replies to most comments. We always seem to be 3 step ahead but they can influence a huge number of householder/consumers.

Hi John,
    Do you have a link to where you posted, so that some of us can join in with your comments?

Hi Mrs Green,

The link is : http://www.wrap.org.uk/.

The section is on the lower left corner where Liz’s feedback is placed.

The more good ideas we present the better. The booklet is a good step and complete information on it will be best for householders.

4. I love the recycle now program you guys have going on over in the UK. It seems so user friendly. I would love to see a National program with such focus going on over here.

Are you planning a celebration for the year anniversary of MyZeroWaste?

5. Philip Booth says:

Great to catch up on your website – have you seen latest issue of Wastelines – if not email me and I’ll send a pdf.

@John Costigane: Thanks John – we’ve asked to be involved with the project, so we’ll see if I get an answer.

@Jen from clean bin: Hey Jen, we might just plan a celebration. Tbh, I hadn’t thought about it, but it struck me how close we were this week when writing the Sunday roundup.
    I’m amazed you do not have such reccle programmes over there – you seem light years ahead of us!

@Philip Booth: Hi Philip, lovely to see you again; it’s always good to read your comments.
    I saw the wastelines issue; yes – thank you! I saw no mention of the zero waste week challenge in the local newspaper though – Stan Waddington was presenting prizes last Friday to some participants and I’ve not seen it covered – did you?

7. Philip Booth says:

Yes lots of coverage in Stroud Life and Stroud News and Journal a while back – haven’t seen the prize ceremony covered.

Hi Philip, I saw lots of coverage of the actual week, but nothing since. That’s a shame, but I guess the media like up to date news 🙂
    Glad to see it covered so well in Stroud.