Reuse glass jars

Filed in Reuse by on May 15, 2009 77 Comments

reuse glass jam jarsEach week we buy honey. We also buy curry sauces, pasta sauce on occasions, jam and other condiments.

It’s easy to recycle glass jars, but it’s better to reuse them as this reduces energy and resources used in the recycling process.

Last year I made chutney for the first time and it was great to be able to use my own jars that I had washed and stored.

It can cost over Β£1 to buy 1 jam jar, which really adds to your cost if making home made.

If you have no intention of making jams or chutneys yourself, why not save some up and offer them on Freecycle or SnaffleUp? There are plenty of people who would love to take them off your hands – and you might get a free jar of something lovely in return!

You might choose to reuse glass jars for storage containers. If you’re crafty, you could paint them with glass paint and put night lights in them.
Or use them to store buttons and odd bits of thread.
Kids can store pens and pencils in them and they make a useful addition to the garage for storing nuts, bolts, picture hooks and screws.
Fill them with beads and seal them well for babies to shake and explore!

There are so many uses for a glass jar – what are your suggestions?

Tags: , ,

1. I always keep jars to be able to use them when making jams and chutneys.

The only problem I have is that if I sell them at car-boot sales then I have to acquire more jars.

I put an ad on freecycle last year and was given over 2 dozen brand new jars that the person had bought and never used.

I find for selling a piece of pretty material tied over the lid makes it look better.

I make my label using publisher on my pc then stick on using either selotape or stickglue ( but I will be investigating the eco glu on Ethical Superstore)

2. dottyspots says:

If you can knit or crochet you can make covers for them to use as vases around the home – this is how I use up the cardboard/foil containers you sometimes get with hot chocolate, some biscuits, etc. I cover them and then use them to hold my knitting needles, crayons and pens. You could also paper mache over the cardboard/foil ones (possibly good craft activity for children).

I’ve also see small jars attached to the bottom of shelves – essentially you attach the lids to the bottom of the shelf and then screw the jars into the lids (used for holding light things like string/floss/buttons.

We also make jam jar lanterns (by sticking tissue paper onto the outside). I’ve various jam jar lanterns around the house and you can attach wire holders to them and hang them outside for summer barbecues, etc.

Jam jar lids can make good paint and glue holders/mixing plates and you can also use them in the garden strung up in the same way as CDs to put off birds.

I’ve also seen fridge magnets made from jamjar lids (filled with something like liquid fimo).

Oh and I forgot, baby jar pin cushions like this one: http://whipup.net/2009/03/13/tutorial-baby-food-jar-pincushion/

3. indiebird says:

Can all lids be reused….. I love marmite jars (you know where you can stick your squeezy plastic abomonations don’t you marmite!!) for my make-up brushes and pens and pencils on my desk and stuff… they are just a design icon, but I’m never sure on reusing lids for stuff like jams and foods….. am I being thick?? or can you just wash and reuse metal and plastic lids?

@maisie dalziel: Hi Maisie, it’s good to give friends and neighbours chutney and jam, because they tend to return the jars. I can see that selling at a car boot sale means you lose the packaging too. Perhaps you could return in 6 months time and offer a deposit on the jars – that would be quirky!
    I’d not heard of ecoglue – I’ll check that out – thanks!

@dottyspots: Loads of fab ideas, Dottyspots – thank you for sharing your ideas. I’m going to give Mr Green the tip about screwing the tops to the bottom of shelves for his garage later in the year. The pin cushion is adorable, isn’t it!

@indiebird: We reuse the lids, Indiebird; with no problems. The ones with the plastic inners are great for chutney because you don’t need to worry about it reacting with the vinegar. Just pour boiling water over them to sterilise.
    I like the idea of the marmite jars for pens and pencils – they are such a lovely shape and I’d never thought of that – thanks!

5. indiebird says:

Thanks Mrs G!! Funny how your mind works when you are on your own eh?? Stupid woman not thinking about just reusing the lids.

@indiebird: No worries my lovely. At least you are here sharing your thoughts. And yes, I get the ‘way your mind works when on your own’ syndrome – frequently LOL!

7. Dh often uses jars which i can’t reuse for jams etc, for storing his nuts and bolts etc.

8. Rob Whittle,Nail2 says:

All my glass jars get reused for containing herbs/spices and seeds for the allotment. etc

Coffee wise (I need my fix Douwe Egberts Pure Gold jars have a glass sealable stopper (instead of pvc plastic top) which can be reused for lentils, mung beans, rice, herbs, spices etc). Refilled with tea bags/ real coffeee.

If these need recycling at some point…other than the plastic seal (used in school art).. the whole container body and stopper can be totally recycled.

Great idea with the baby jar!! I’ll try to use extra hair as cushion material, like in Victorian times πŸ˜€ & not use glue (if possible :)) – must check how they did it in victorian times! πŸ™‚

We reuse jars for homemade jams or marmalades or tomato sauce or such…
    I have a smallish honey jar for salt to use as toothpaste powder (or just to nibble on sometimes) or other cleaning uses..

I know a lady in the city who doesn’t know what to do with her jars, & my Aunt doesn’t have enough jars (for jams etc), so hopefully the two can make a switch! freecycling the jars or getting them there is another great idea

ideally people could give their jars to a reuse station & others could get them there..

Maisie, I would totally be willing to buy & return the jars!! do try a thing like that, at least with the regular customers!! πŸ™‚
    we do this with honey we get from a neighbour! we bring the jars, he fills ’em, then we bring ’em again.. total mutual satisfaction!!:)

@maisie dalziel: Hi Maisie, we are going to be doing a lot of that next week in the garage!

@Rob Whittle,Nail2: Hi Rob, herbs and spices storage is a great reuse. I’m planning on filling mine with home grown herbs this year to save on the packaging which normally come with shop bought spices.

@Layla: Hi Layla, I love the honey thing you talk about and let’s hope your Aunty and the lady in the city manage to hook up!

11. Nicola Slade says:

What a great site! My question is: has anyone ever used the Douwe Egberts jars (with glass knobby stopper) for making marmalade or jam? I’m wondering if the seal is good enough? The jars would seem to be ideal for preserves and would look pretty too.

Nicky

12. Rob Whittle says:

It might be worth someone experimenting with Douwe Egberts jars (with glass knobby stopper) for making marmalade or jam; personally I have used them solely for dry foods, lentils, herbs,spices,sugar, waste fats so far.

@Nicola Slade: Hi Nicola – welcome to the site; I’m so glad you found us! I have to be honest and say that I’m having trouble thinking of which jars you mean.

All the Douwe Egberts jars I’ve seen have had plastic lids.

Like Rob says; perhaps have a go with just one and see if it seals well. You’ll know within a few seconds, which will give you time to quickly fill some more if you have some stored up. They sound lovely and next time I’m in a shop I’ll be scouring the aisles to see what they look like πŸ˜€

14. Nicola Slade says:

Ah, I’ve just checked the lids out, Mrs Green, and I seem to have got my wires crossed! The glass knob was on a storage jar and the Douwe Egberts jars just have a plastic lid. But it’s a good idea to test one before my husband starts his marmalade marathon in January. Plum jam, I think. I’ll post results!

15. Rob Whittle says:

@Nilcola

I’m not aware that Douwe Egberts have changed their jars, so the stoppers/lids are plastic; mine a glass.

100g & 200g..size jars. Pure Gold. Medium and Well Balanced. DE experience back to 1753.

For me the jars are great for reuse; but also if you break them, decide to recycle; other than the HDPE seal; both glass stopper and jar can be recycled easily.

16. Nicola Slade says:

Received from Douwe Egberts customer relations dept:

“Our jars are primarily designed to keep our coffee as fresh as possible, and we would therefore not recommend that you re-use it for jam making as the plastic seal inside the lid might not be suitable for jam-making. It should, however, be suitable for other storage.”

I think a jam-making session is required!

@Nicola Slade:

Tosh! Not you of course, but Douwe Egberts! My mum only ever used the little greaseproof discs and the plastic film lid with a rubber band!

Go for it Nicola – prove them wrong!

18. Nicola Slade says:

They might have been miffed because I said I buy the coffee because I like the jars! (They end up at various school fetes filled with sweets, etc).
    I’ll keep you posted on the jam potential!

@Nicola Slade: How exciting this all is – please keep us updated Nocola!

20. Nicola Slade says:

Haven’t got any smilies so you’ll just have to imagine the giggle at that, Mrs Green!

@Nicola Slade: πŸ˜€ well it *is* exciting; I love seeing rebels refusing to take no for an answer LOL! and you might just come up with something wonderful that will make us all rethink things πŸ˜‰

Hmm, maybe just try only 1 jar first? (They probably wrote you that as to be covered if things go wrong..)
    Not sure if you can sterilize the plastic lid & how? I’d probably stay with the metal/glass ones..

Completely unrelated to this: I have A TON of jar lids – Mum says she doesn’t have such jars anymore, or they are plastic lids & not really usable for jams..

Apart from ideas already posted, any more ideas on what to do with those?

**looks around the room for inspiration** no ideas at all, Layla; sorry.

Mobiles? Bird scarers?

24. Nicola Slade says:

Sterilizing jar lids – dishwasher should be OK, shouldn’t it? Will get round to some kind of experimental jam (sounds like a rock session!) when I have time.

Jar lids – um, take them to the dump? Or check out your local Scrapstore (most areas have them, recycle stuff for art/craft reuse. Just Google and see what comes up.)

@Nicola Slade: Hi Nicola, I don’t have a dishwasher, so I don’t know about the sterilisation. I put them in a bowl and pour boiling water over them and leave them for a couple of minutes. I’ve never had any problems. In fact, we opened a jar of last year’s chutney for tea this evening and it was perfect – I was so happy πŸ˜€

26. Nicola Slade says:

Update: the man of the house, aka the marmalade maker, has just made four jars of apple jam as an experiment. Two Douwe Egberts jars and two ordinary ones as a control. He is muttering doubtfully about the whole concept but I am ignoring him pointedly. Will try to remember to check for penicillin growth on a regular basis and report back.
    Nicky

@Nicola Slade: Hi Nicola, great to see you again. It’s great that your DP has at least had a go at this; we’re all waiting for your reports! Apple jam; I’d never heard of that – you learn something new every day …

28. Nicola Slade says:

Nearly a month and there’s no sign of mould in the jar yet, so fingers crossed.
    (Apple jam is rather like sweet, stiff stewed apple and it’s lovely on icecream or bread and butter!)

29. Julian says:

@Rob Whittle,Nail2: I’m doing the same thing with my Douwe Egbert jars, they’re fantastic, we’re keeping loads of stuff in them, I posted my experience on http://southtier.com/2009/09/douwe-egberts-green-packaging/

Glad to see great minds think alike πŸ™‚

@Nicola Slade: Hi Nicola – well that’s great news; how exciting! The apple jam sounds great. I knew someone who used to make ‘apple butter’ I wonder if it’s the same thing – do you know?

@Julian: Hello Julian, welcome to the site and great to see someone else reusing their glass jars. πŸ™‚

31. Nicola Slade says:

Latest update: two months on and still no penicillin! The cunning plan is to use the accumulated Douwe Egberts jars for marmalade in January. (btw we don’t mind a bit of mould anyway, just scrape it off, but it might be a bit off to give someone a green/blue present!)

32. Rob Olivier says:

My personal feel is you will be fine. Its 99% there in concept.

33. rosemary says:

I’ve always used ‘old’ jars for chutney/jam and never had a problem! A colleague of mine at
    work brought me loads when I had an excess of courgettes from my local CSA (Community
    Supported Agriculture) farm.

34. Nicola Slade says:

It’s not ‘old’ jars that are the problem, Rosemary. Rather, it’s whether the lids on Douwe Egberts coffee jars will work. We usually use any old recycled jars with those little paper circles and a cellophane lid stretched over the top. I couldn’t bring m yself to throw out the rather smart DE jars, hence the experiment! So far, so promising…

35. Ben says:

I’ve used coffee jars for preserves when I’ve run out of other jars, but I put a layer or two of aluminium foil between the lid and the jar when I screw it on to make a tight seal. So far they have worked, but I prefer jam jars, and those with the pop up buttons give the best indicator if it has sealed properly.

Great to hear the updates, Nicola – thank you!

Ben, when you say ‘preserves’ do you mean jam or chutney? I’m sure jam would be ok, but I’ve been led to believe that you should not let vinegar (such as that in pickles and chutney) come into contact with metal; hence the need for wax discs or plastic-lined lids

37. Ben says:

@Mrs Green: Hello Mrs Green. I haven’t tried anything with vinegar this way, only jams and mincemeat for Christmas.

38. Hazel Kay says:

@Ben: @Nicola Slade:
    Hi there, I have made bath salts for my sons Primary School Christmas Fayre and put them into douwe’s jars. Problem is the stopper keeps popping off! I filled the jars, replaced stopper and within a minute or so I got the fright of my life. The stopper flew off the first one and hit the floor. I filled 6 in total and 4 of them popped. Does anyone have any ideas how to remedy this? Thanks

39. Julian says:

@Hazel Kay: it’s something to do with the bath salts, they are emitting an expanding gas of some kind, I don’t remember my chemistry from school, but it’s the same principle as storing tomato sauce in these jars for me, you know it’s gone off when the sauce starts to ferment and the lid pops up.

If it is the case where there is an expanding gas inside, I would suggest that you opt for a screw type lid.

@Hazel Kay: How intriguing! Scary though LOL! What was in your recipe?

@Julian: Thanks Julian; it’s great when our readers help one another; I wouldn’t have had a clue why this was happening!

41. Hazel Kay says:

Thanks everyone, I never did Chemistry at school, which probably shows!! It’s a concoction of Epsom salts, citirc acid, baking soda, lemon essential oil and yellow colouring. Any thoughts?

I thought the douwe jars would look pretty with labels and ribbons on. I could picture it in my head but when it actually came to do it, it hasn’t worked out as planned. Would screw lid jars not warp if there was gas inside?

42. Julian says:

@Hazel Kay:

It’s the baking soda mixed with the oil and colouring. If it’s not reacting instantaneously, it’s certainly doing it slowly enough to pop the top. Screw top can keep the pressure inside, but I’d be careful if I were you, you might end up creating a potential explosive jar if the pressure builds up too much. Try a test jar, and I’d steer away from the baking soda.

If you want to see an extreme reaction, try mixing the baking soda with vinegar.

Good Luck πŸ™‚

43. Hazel Kay says:

@Julian:
    Thanks Julian, that makes perfedct sense. Here’s me thinking I’m doing good making things for the Christmas Fayre and I’m making a potential bomb lol!! :I mistakenly called it bath salts when it is actually bath sherbet. Its the soda that makes the fizz. I think I’ll make bath bombs with the mixture instead, seems safer. I just wanted to use all my coffee jars that I’ve collected over the last year and make something useful and nice with them. Oh well, back to the drawing board πŸ™‚

@Hazel Kay: πŸ˜€ we’re glad they didn’t build up over too long a time and cause problems for the recipients then!

You could fill your jars with muffin mix or a bath oil perhaps. Let us know what you make as the idea is lovely.

There are lots of ideas on these sites; but I’m not sure if you are specifically after toiletries, as a lot of these are foodie gifts:

I love the journal idea on this page:

Have fun!

45. Ben says:

Many of our jars and lids are given to a lady who makes and sells jam, which is a great way to reuse them and saves us some money as we get a discount from it.

However, I get quite a few tomato and curry sauce jars that I don’t need any more either. The glass cleans up really well with no trace of the previous contents, but the lids are stained and smell like the sauce in the jar.

Is there a food safe way to clean the lids up? I’d rather refill them than landfill the lids and send the jar off to be melted down again.

@Ben: Hi Ben, great question about the lids – I find the same and I end up recycling the curry / tomato based jars and lids at the kerbside. I don’t know if they would stand a blast in the dishwasher? We don’t have one, so I’ve never tried it. I guess a very mild solution of bleach might do the trick; like people use for cleaning tea cups and similar.

I save the smelly lid jars for things like chutney where the spice smell won’t be a problem and may even be an asset πŸ™‚

PS – thanks for the craft links πŸ™‚ I had just come across something similar and was winging my way back here to share, but you beat me to it πŸ˜‰

49. Ben says:

@Mrs Green: Thanks for the suggestions, although I don’t have a dishwasher either. Actually, I’ve only just got my first TV and automatic washing machine! I may try soaking them in some washing powder solution. It’s quite similar to the stuff you’d put in a dishwasher.

Aside from environmental issues, I get a decent financial incentive for the empty jars, so I’d really like to turn them all in to money for groceries rather than throw them out. It could be worth buying a specialist cleaning product even.

@Poppy: Poppy, that is a brilliant idea; why didn’t I think of that. Erm, no, don’t answer that LOL!

@Ben: Let us know how you get on, Ben. I’m sure lots of people wonder how to clean those lids πŸ˜‰

51. Ben says:

@Poppy: That’s a good idea, they would be ideal for spicy or tomato based foods. The only problem is that I rarely make chutney or pickles. Maybe I could freecycle them to someone who does. Downside is not getting money for them, which I could if they were cleaned up, but it’s a big improvement on the current situation where we put them in the recycle bin to be melted and reformed. It seems a little strange really to be turning jars in to jars. We could easily standardise jar sizes and have them returned for refilling many times over.

@Ben: Ben, having jars as a refillable option in shops for a reduced price would be great, wouldn’t it! I’m sure a Freecycler would appreciate the jars you can’t use πŸ™‚

53. Nicola Slade says:

Worrying about the exploding jars, Hazel!
    Here’s an update on using the Douwe Egbert jars for preserves – 3 months and no sign of deterioration! Apple jam (good on toast, icecream, sponge cake filling, etc) was just poured into jars sterilised in the oven (I think, it’s DH who makes the jam), then one of those waxed circles on top and once cooled, the Douwe stopper. Am going to keep this apple jam as my control, but it’s looking good for the marmalade orgy in the new year.

@Nicola Slade: Hi Nicola, thanks for the update! Things are looking very positive with the Douwe Egbert jars – I wrote to them a couple of weeks ago and have not yet heard anything. Are you giving away any of your apple jam as Christmas pressies?

55. Nicola Slade says:

Not as Christmas presents, no. Mind you, most of that batch went in ordinary jars and I’ve just got the one Douwe jar as my control. I did have two but my younger daughter dropped in one day when I was out and made toast for herself and small son for lunch and – ta dum! – opened my other Douwe jar of apple. Duh…

56. H0gg1t says:

Hi Ben, I read your difficulty with the “smelly” jar lids from pasta sauces. My Mum’s remedy for discoloured cups in the past has been to use Denture tablets as per their instructions, wonder if that would work for you, haven’t tried it yet myself (but this experiment could be on the cards at ours in the next few days as I have some in stock, will keep everyone informed as to progress).

57. Caroline says:

Reusing jam jars .
    I am a jam maker who sells jams and chutneys through Country Markets, a nationwide co-operative where home-made baking produce and crafts are sold.
    If you take your used jars (those without a trade name embossed and that take standard lids, ie not coffee jars) to your local Country Market they will be pleased to re-use them.
    To sterilise the lids for re-use just boil them in a pan of water for a few minutes. Please note, this is not what we do for Market , we have to use new lids, but I do it for my own use.

58. Jane says:

My son had to write ‘Don’t throw away’ on the lid of his home-made jam jar as his young housemates haven’t a clue about sell by dates, use by dates etc and regularly just chuck stuff out of the fridge. Trying to enlighten them is a big task.

You can buy new lids to fit jam jars and these are useful if you are going to sell your jam or chutney. What to do with the old ones is a problem. I just put them in with the cans for recycling after removing any paper or plastic bits but maybe they can deal with this amount of contamination in their recyclate?

@H0gg1t: denture tablets is an innovative idea; I wonder if it works!? I’ll bear it in mind.

@Caroline: Hello Caroline, thanks for the great idea about donating them to the country markets. I’ll be sure to pass that on to people πŸ™‚

@Jane: Good for your son Jane! I put lids in with the tins too; we haven’t had any complaints πŸ˜‰

60. Claudia says:

I save all jars that have reasonably clean lids for re-use when I make jam, marmalade, jellies and pickles and have done for over 20 years with no ill effects! Re-used lids can corrode a bit with vinegar-based pickles, so make sure the plastic coatings are intact, otherwise put cellophane circles between the jar and lid to give an extra layer of protection. Another thing is to remember to store the lids in a dry place – the jars are fine in a shed or garage, but the metal lids tend to rust if left there for any length of time.

What I would really like to know is whether anyone knows of a place where one can buy waxed circles that are not sold in plastic packaging. My local shops only sell the little non-resealable plastic packs that contain a mixture of wax discs, labels, cellophane circles and elastic bands, over half of which I never use. I have seen references to wax discs being available in a little cylindrical, re-usable box, but can’t find a supplier. Lakeland sells the discs alone, but they are still in a plastic bag!

61. H0gg1t says:

Re the “smelly” li problem and the Denture Tablet sugestion. Yesterday I hd a go with a curry sauce jar lid and the aforementioned tablets. The residual staining has shifted a bit and there is no smell detectable, so maybe this could be the answer!

@Claudia: Hi Claudia, thanks for sharing some great advice. I’d always wondered if the thing about vinegar and metal lids was true. Great question about the waxed discs. Would it work to cut your own from greaseproof paper or do they need to be special? If you don’t come up with an answer, perhaps I’ll pop up a quick post and ask other readers πŸ™‚

@H0gg1t: Hi H0gg1t; thanks for the feedback; that’s great to know and really helpful for people πŸ™‚

63. Nicola Slade says:

More updates re marmalade/jam in Douwe Egberts jars.
    @ 4 months: the WHOLE batch showed signs of a little amount of white mould, which indicates there was an air bubble or something under the wax disc. NOT a problem with the Douwe Egberts jar itself.

@5 months: no further deterioration, mould spot still white and fluffy and not growing. Encouraged by this, DH has used a mixture of ordinary jars and Douwe Egberts jars for his annual Marmalade Marathon, so I’ll be keeping an eye on them and reporting back!

The inescapable conclusion appears to be that the Douwe Egberts jars are perfectly suitable for preserves, but that – as with all jam, etc – care needs to be taken in filling the jars with the hot mixture, to avoid letting air in. (My solution to this will be that those are the jars I give away as presents FIRST!

@Nicola Slade: brilliant – thanks for taking the time to keep updating us, Nicola – I really appreciate it and I think many others have been checking back the page to see what’s news from your part of the world. Great reuse for Douwe Egberts then!

65. Mary says:

Wow what wonderful ways of reusing items. I live in NYC and I recently found this great reuse warehouse in the Bronx called Rebuilders Source, not only are most of their items donated but the you cant beat the discount prices. I love the fact that their mission is to reuse items that would otherwise end up in a landfills!!!!!!!

66. Mary says:

Oh By the way I reuse my glass jars by putting spices that come in bags that cant be retied, I also like to keep my straws in there as well. ; )

@Mary: Hi Mary, great to see you. The Rebuilders resource sounds wonderful as the construction industry is one that generates a lot of waste. Your ideas for spices and straws is lovely πŸ™‚

68. john north says:

i would like to know how much does it cost to make a single glass jar, as this may help to understand how we can go about finding a way to reduce the the cost to making them and reuse them more.
    and the same question applies for the cost of a steel food can??

@john north: Hello John, I have no idea about the answer to your question, but I think you could contact a jar or can manufacturer and ask the question. If you tell them it’s for research purposes I’m sure they will help you.

70. adrian says:

My local supermarket has DE coffee at Β£2 per Β£100g and Nescafe at Β£1.65 per 100g.

I like the DE jar better in appearance and wondered if it was suitable for preserving – ignoring the taste of the coffee, both of which I like, was it worth spending the extra 35p a jar, just for the jar – delighted with this thread, I’ll be off to the shops for a load tomorrow!

Many thanks

@adrian: Hi Adrian, glad we could provide the answer to your question and that the extra 35p was worth it! Let us know how you get on πŸ™‚

72. judy says:

@Nicola Slade:
    my brother used these D and E jars for some old fashioned pear butter (a bit like a spicy pear sauce) a couple of years ago and we kept a huge jar in the fridge for many months. Not sure it would have lasted in the cupboard, once opened but unopened it kept well.

73. Megan says:

Hi!
    I am having a trading day and need about 15-25 empty jars to make snowglobes. In a way I am reusing them. I would like you to sponser me please!
    Megan Gierdien
    Grade six pupil

@Megan: We’d love to help Megan, but as you have written ‘grade six’ I assume you are not in the UK? We’re in the UK, so how do you think we might be able to help you?

75. Adrian says:

Doewe Egberts jars – I made Picalilli last autumn and used DE jars – they seem fine, although I was a little troubled with the seal while the pickle was hot because vapours seemed to open the jars.

My inclination is, that although they seem fine, I would rather use them for storing dry foods than wet.

Having said that, Sainsbury’s had a half price offer on the large DE coffee last week and I bought 16 jars…I’m sure they’ll be useful!

@Adrian: Hi Adrian, thanks for sharing your experiences with us; I think storing dry foods in these jars is a great idea.

77. Lorna Johnston says:

Re: Jam making and using old jars:
    I have made a great discovery!
    Wash your old jars and lids ( this does work with both simple metal lids AND the ones with a plasticky interior).
    Put them on a baking tray in the oven at 100Β°
    Make the jam/jelly.
    When ready to bottle ONLY THEN take baking tray of jars and lids out of oven.
    Fill and tightly close immediatelyp
    As things contract as they cool – what happens is that you recreate the “tamper seal”.
    I have done this for years and it extends the life of homemade preserves from a few months to a number of years!!!! Keep in a cool, dry place and refridgerate and use as normal once opened.
    Those wax discs and a rubber band someone mentioned seriously increase the o
    potential for spoiling.