Get off your arse Thursday – week 5

Filed in Blog by on April 9, 2009 9 Comments

get off your arse thursdayYipee! it’s time for us all to get off our derrières and go and save the planet. My favourite time of my zero waste week; I know I’m not alone in doing my bit. You can join in too and let us know what you are up to today. Anything that helps you reduce your landfill waste is cool with me. Just pop a comment below, let us know what you’re doing and you might even win a fantastic cyber prize for your efforts. Although of course, every one is a winner in my eyes 🙂

Last week I was supposed to pack up my PET 1 black containers for GHS, but instead I dug the garden in preparation for some spring sowing. I did, however, check out the contents of the ‘fridge and make some exciting meals from all sorts of incredible ingredients nearing the end of their useful life.

Deb in Boston was enjoying a declutter! Deb’s son had the mission to take some ‘junk’ into school for remodelling. I’m looking forward to hearing what the bits and bobs were made in to!

Up in sunny Scotland, John was ditching his plastic cleaning sponges in favour of reusable Ecover cloths. This will mean much less landfill for him.

Di joined me and took a peak in her fridge to see what needed using up. I hope she didn’t find as much scarey stuff in there as I did!

Layla was crossing things off her ‘to do’ list by doing some research for her own zero waste week and has been networking with people to help spread the message about rubbish, incinerators and landfill.

Carole Blake was also sorting out her fridge. I think there was a theme to last week! In the midst of her paperwork, Carole also began minimising her wardrobe and sorted it into possible charity, reuse and cloths piles.

Last but not least, poppy was Freecycling and visiting her local recycling centre to drop off her batteries and cardboard.

Yay! I think we’ve all shed a few pounds over the past month of Get-Off-Your-Arse Thursdays.metal-bucket

Last week’s prize goes to John. Ditching the plastic sponges is a really good move which can make an enormous difference to landfill. We have mainly washable cloths, but I do still like the sponges for some jobs; so I admire his bold move. Your prize John is this stylish galvanised bucket so you can shine your floors with your new cloths and think of us cheering you on at Chez Green.

This week I’ve got more planting to do; so I’m hoping for a fine day and plenty of stamina to dig and plant.

What about you? What are you doing to reduce your waste today?

I am a long time supporter of the Green and Sustainable lifestyle. After being caught in the Boscastle floods in 2004, our family begun a journey to respect and promote the importance of Earth’s fragile ecosystem, that focussed on reducing waste. Inspired by the beauty and resourcefulness of this wonderful planet, I have published numerous magazine articles on green issues and the author of four books.

Hi Mrs Green,

Thank you for the prize nomination. Mentioning my previous good fortune with Ecover, a fantastic prize, was to encourage others to enter. I seem to be very lucky indeed, when there are so many others equally, or in fact more, deserving.

It is a big item to send through the post so better that I collect when I visit later this year. In the meantime, another local entry should have the use of the bucket, if that is acceptable.

Another point : as you nominate the prizes you never win anything. That is unfair when you do all the work. Maybe a vote for Zero Waster of the Year would be an idea? I can think of a few other possibilities, me definitely not included in this one, who have may have their eyes on such a prize.

Other prizes could be Best supportive family member and young person of the year, not forgetting Best newcomer- Home and Abroad. This could be another item for September.

There would need to be nominations, with reasons, so that anyone could vote (ONCE only per category). What do you think of the idea?

2. Carole Blake says:

Hi Mrs G,

Yesterday I bought some basil (I use a lot of fresh basil as we’re big homemade pizza and pasta fans here) and some cherry tomato seeds; my window sills are shortly going to run out of room!! I’ve saved an icecream container for the tomato seedlings and I’ve got a margarine tub almost empty for the basil ones, so I’m doing my best to re-use those.

Apart from that I’m afraid I’ve only got the ironing lined up for today, but what an Everest it is. I did sit and do some mending (sewing!!) last night to save throwing some underwear away. Maybe you don’t use them, but my underwired undies have a habit of trying to stab me in the ribs occasionally!!

Carole

Mmmm, ironing? Now there’s an idea to get something out of the way. My usual Sunday morning stint has been spoilt by the rescheduling of Countryfiles. We were good friends on a Sunday morning and the ironing pile disappeared in no time at all, but alas, those ‘we know better’ peeps at the BEEB had other ideas 🙁

This morning I’ve dropped of some information to a man who needs help with his garden and collected several discarded cans during the pooch walk. I then get on with a bit more seed planting – peas and sunflowers – maybe that’s what brought the rain on!!

The rain is now beating hard against my windows, so I guess your planting mission hasn’t gone to well Mrs G?

4. I have made a big pot of Ratatouille/veg mix using up all the bits and pieces that were in the veg box from last week and the week before,(onions,carrots,courgettes,leeks and pepper) chuck in a couple of tins of tomatoes and that 6 tubs in the freezer to add in to curries, pasta dishes or casseroles, so veggies get used and the boys don’t always realize whats in there.

We had salad on Sunday so obviously didn’t use as many veggies as normal.

Had the new box delivered yesterday so we are starting out fresh again.

5. Di says:

I didn’t find much in the fridge I shouldn’t have and I used up some desperately in need of using food.

This week I plan on tidying up the raised beds, harvesting some veggies and starting more plants. I’ve been pretty lax on the garden lately so need to get ontop of the planting ready for Summer!

6. MrsJ says:

We’ve been sorting out all the toys, clothes etc. Went to Ikea to discover that outside they have an area to recycle the packaging – including plastics!! Yay.

@John Costigane: no worries John; I shall send the bucket out into the community for communal use until you claim it 😀
    I think your idea is great, but Mrs A did an excellent awards ceremony of her own a few weeks ago – A voting system might make an interesting feature however. We’ll have to discuss it more.

@Carole Blake: Hi Carole; ahhhh, basil and tomatoes, what better combination is there in the kitchen? That sounds fab and well done on the reuse of containers. I’ve never yet been stabbed by an underwire, fortunately LOL!

@Poppy: Sorry to hear about the change in schedule, Poppy. You’ll have to find something else to iron to 🙁
    Well done on the can picking though; that’s a horrible job.

@maisie dalziel: Maisie, it always feels good to use up those vegetable scraps and your meals sound delicious, as usual 🙂

@Di: Di, good news that there was little in your fridge to use up. I hope the gardening went well and you had some good weather!

@MrsJ: Great news about Ikea, Mrs J – that’s a big step forwards!

@Mrs Green: Mrs Green, Thank you for that. The ReSackal bag has been used occasionally but since my purchases are normally big volumes the size is a restriction. If you like, I will post back down to you for one of the gals, or for a rerun, which was mentioned at the first draw. What is good is its ability to hold bottles upright, missing in wider types.

With all the recent talk of waste reduction, regarding Easter Eggs, I had a setback with teabags. Twinings is the second supplier to start foil wrapping its previously loose teabags. I visited Sainsbury’s, Asda and Morrisons and found every sort of teabag box had plastic content, or outer plastic wrap.

@John Costigane: What a shame about the teabags, John. We find this a challenge too (although we only have tea in for guests as we don’t drink it); but thought we had the problem solved with Twinnings.
    let us know if you find anything else!