weekly weigh in 34

Filed in Blog by on January 21, 2009 17 Comments

weigh in 34There are a lot of things in the landfill bin this week which I was hoping would not tip us over our weekly target of 100gms.

In the bin we have:

1 rice cakes bag
1 foil pack from cat biscuits – it was a Christmas present πŸ˜€
cellophane from sponge scourers
net from some onions – I can’t remember why I bought them; I usually buy loose from the farm……
lentils bag
chocolate biscuit wrappers – yep, Mr G had a chocolate digestive craving for the first time in years!
crisps packet
cellophane from a bread bag – I’ve been incredibly lazy lately m’lord and will be back to making my own bread and biscuits for zero waste week
ryvita bag
First casualty from the party bag – a fluffy pen that doesn’t work πŸ™
plastic seal from grapeseed oil bottle
cellophane seal from honey

To prove how tiny and light it was, the brave and courageous Mr green modelled it on his head without injury or discomfort.
All in all it weighs just 63 gms
Wahee! I’m pleased with that. There were a lot of things in there but they were pretty lightweight. Now we need to begin our plans for zero waste week. We’ve had some great suggestions in the comments on our zero waste week page, so if you’re looking for inspiration why not pop over and have a read?

1. iluv2cook says:

mmm, net from onions, could you not use it scrunched up as a scourer, just an idea :0)

2. Ah, the trouble with homemade bread is that you have to store it in something. I use plastic bags, which I reuse as much as possible, but I do have to throw them away eventually. If you come across some wonderful no-waste way of storing bread I would LOVE to hear about it.

3. Fluttering Sam says:

To Kristen, I wrap my bread up in a large clean tea-towel and store in my bread bin. I have a metal bread bin at the moment, I used to have a terracotta one, it keeps well in both sorts. Not that it has to stay fresh for long in this house with five of us eating it πŸ™‚

4. maisie says:

I have a few lightweight cotton shopping bags, I deliberately kept one from being used so that my bread can be wrqapped in it.

Beauty is it can also be washed.

The net from the onions could be reused as a bird feeder – I have a couple of those and they get used until they fall to bits and only then do they find their way to landfill.

Investing in a good breadbin is the way for home made bread, or a bread crock. At the moment I have a bread bag that I got from Betterware, but I think Lakeland do them too. It has a fabric outer and a solid, washable plastic lining – so eventually it’ll end up in landfill I expect but not for years yet.

6. We store bread and flour in the microwave (which, obviously, we never turn on!)

7. I’m just enjoying that photo of the lovely Mr G…LOL. Please thank him for modelling your rubbish. Love the answers regarding bread storage…It won’t surprise you what a bizarre old bat I am. I daren’t hide my bread away anywhere, because it becomes out of sight out of mind, we then forget to eat it and it goes to waste. Our loaves are best stored in a clear plastic bag on top of the bread bin, which I now use for storing flour LOL. Thankfully it works πŸ˜€

Hi Mr Green,

While reading a Zero Waste article on a Government release, I was horrified to see EfW mentioned as if it was part of the trend. Such contradictory thinking seems to be part of the problem. How can toxic fly ash be considered Zero Waste? As a by-product of incineration it would lead to requirement of ever-increasing landfill disposal. A better title would be Zero Waste for Zero Warming to make clear the differences betweeen Zero Waste and EfW.

I was having a discussion with a colleague about something similar this morning. He thinks that incineration could be the lesser evil when put up against reality reclaimation of useable materials from ‘recycled’ goods in sweatshops in foreign lands.

It’s a hard one to balance I think, as I’m essentially against both concepts.

I put it that REDUCE and REUSE on a local basis, had to the best alternative. This still leaves us with the issue of getting enough people on board to make incineration and these sweatshops less viable πŸ™

@Poppy
    I had a few talks too about incinerations being the ‘lesser evil’ when it comes to landfills, just dumping stuff and burning (not even in landfills – happens in not-so-developed countries such as even Montenegro or such..)
    And how some processes of recycling are actually worse than incineration, with regard to chemicals etc.

And some processes of recycling are really bad and dirty – and that’s the so called ‘okay recycling’ ones.. (the illegal stuff is even worse) Some include incinerators-on-the-site (such as the paper recycling plants from the article I posted in the other thread)
    I doubt that people who oppose incinerators (or any of us here) would really love to have a recycling plant at our doorstep, at least as long as the processes are so dirty..

Both of the experts I talked to (one PhD & one BA) said that ‘less waste’ was a great concept, ‘but how to make people do it?’
    So I guess this leaves a lot of room to ‘promote, educate, INSPIRE’ etc.
    The polluters have really heavy PR & marketing and so should the ‘make less waste’…

@John Costigane
    People linking zero waste/good recycling etc and EfW horrifies me properly too!!
    It’s basically ‘good PR’ – they were smart enough to ‘spin’ the message their way.. Now the nuclear industry is trying to do the same.. Basically they’re doing it as we speak.. They had paid ads on CNN and in important national newspapers here… How ‘nuclear helps’ people diagnose & treat cancer etc. No word on how nuclear (or incinerators) helps people get cancer.. (!!)
    Sometimes people selling these things are the same people.. or at least they learn from each other..

The terrible part about ZfW is that a council here made a study of people’s habits and decided people (in a very polluted city) ‘didn’t have an environmental consciousness’ – instead of starting a heavy PR campaign to promote less waste, they launched an incinerator… (!)
    (there was a lot of money involved too.. some EU money..)

The only hope is to include doctors and have a really heavy campaign, or several… worldwide, and locally.. And have ‘less waste’ people in all local councils.. reporting when the plans for an incinerator are starting so they can be stopped in proper time.. (it’s much easier in the beginning..) We only found about the local one too late here..

So, I suppose as for the articles etc – I suppose someone would have to spin spin spin it back… (??)
    /to shockingly, tell the truth!! :)/

Hey all, well an onion net is such a weird thing for me to find so I’m not going to sweat πŸ˜€ over it. I can’t imagine why I bought it or how it got here as I always buy from a farm shop and they don’t even sell them in onions. Must have been the onion net fairy. I will bear in mind a bird feeder next time, however.

Thank you all for sharing your ideas on how you store bread with Kristen. Next week you’ll see a YouTube vid of how we remember to take our reusable bags and containers out with us. On there, you’ll see a big container with a blue lid which we use to buy whole chickens from the butchers. We have two of these containers – the other is for storing our bread. Ok, so it’s plastic, but it will be used until it falls apart.

@John Costigane: John, there is a lot of this in the news at the moment. It is a big concerns and full transparency is called for. We’ll see what evolves from all these talks.

@Poppy: It’s a tough call. We too baulk at buying cheap plastic stuff from China when it seems pretty obvious that we sent them the recycled plastic in the first place. I agree that we need to put the first two R’s in place and recycling now comes way down the list.

@Layla: Layla, I do believe you are in full swing! I’m loving reading your comments at the moment and it’s great to get a perspective from someone who has different issues to face. Thank you for participating such well thought out and lively discussion throughout the site. πŸ™‚

12. Rik Boland says:

@maisie: Wraping home made bag in cotton FANTASTIC idea we just starting trying to get eco one thing we doing is making bread (the bread not looking to good) thanks for cotton bag idea

13. Rik Boland says:

@[email protected] Frugal Girl: Do you have a good recipy fpr bread, please. We have a machine but it te bread not looking or tasting good

14. Mrs Jackson says:

Hi Mrs Green

Morrisons value (not the best mind) bread bags are able to be recycled and have the code on them :O)

@Rik Boland: We will be sharing a bread recipe on here later in the week, Rik. It’s the only one I have managed to do 9and I have tried HEAPS in my time!)

@Mrs Jackson: thanks for the update Mrs J. I don’t have a local Morrisons, but I know many of our readers use them, so it’s good to spread the word.

16. Rik, every Wednesday I post baking recipes on my blog…come check it out! πŸ™‚

Do pop over to Kristen’s blog, Rik. She’s a bit of a goddess in the kitchen πŸ˜‰