Come and meet us at the big waste debate

Filed in Blog, Waste News by on October 25, 2010 7 Comments

Professor Paul Connett

Professor Paul Connett

Paul Connett is coming to Cheltenham!

Professor Paul Connett is a leading “Zero Waste” expert who has recently given presentations to the United Nations.

Earlier this year we heard him speak at Kings Stanley. He is amazing – never have I met a person with such passion, integrity and commitment. A couple of times I thought he was going to pop with excitement before my very eyes!

He will deliberate with another speaker about the merits and disadvantages of a range of technologies in an open debate chaired by Mr Ian Mean, Editor of The Citizen Newspaper.

The evening is a chance to hear Paul Connett speak, hear the facts and debate the issues.

It takes place on Monday 1st November at 7:00 pm for 7:15pm start until around 9:30pm
at the University of Gloucestershire, Cheltenham Campus, The Park, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50 2RH.

Head to room TC014, ground floor, main teaching building.

The talk has been organised by GlosAIN, GlosVAIN, Glos. Friends of the Earth Network and is supported by SWARD, so it promises to be a great night.

With recent stories ramping up in local news about the possibility of an incinerator being built in Gloucester, and then news that it was off due to costs, come along, hear the facts and have your say.

1. Julie Day says:

Wish I could be there but is too far away for me.

2. John Ashwell says:

Oh I wish! Cheltenham is just too far to drive for us. Would you be recording the event Rae? I’d like to hear this guy speak.

3. Melanie says:

I love it that you are zeroing in on zero waste!! It’s amazing how much stuff gets trashed that can either be recycled or reused. We’re huge recyclers to the point that when we visit someone who doesn’t, we take all their recylces home. I can’t bear to throw it away!

@Julie Day: Julie, you could always put in a request for Paul to talk in your area.
    @John Ashwell: John, I probably won’t be recording it, but his talks are available on You Tube.
    @Melanie: Hi Melanie; welcome to the site! I love that you take other people’s recycling home LOL! I’ve been known to do the same ;)

5. Chris Harmer says:

It was nice to see Mrs, Mr and Miss Green at the Paul Connett presentation.
    As Mrs Green says, there are several of Paul’s lectures on YouTube, just put his name in the search box.
    If you would like a set of Paul’s Powerpoint slides, go to http://www.gloucestershire-against-incinerators.org.uk/ , scroll down, and you will find a link, or you can just Google his name.

@Mrs Green: Slightly embarassed to say, we went to McDs today and I brought the cardboard packaging home with me! “Big sigh …….”

@Chris Harmer: THanks for sharing the links, Chris – great to meet you too and to hear your speaking :)

@Poppy: Well you did your bit Poppy, by bringing home all that packaging ;)